Extracting Data from Graphs

Hey Guys

I am writing my master’s thesis and finding the data is the hardest part. I found a chrome add-on that lets me look at some amazon products and find a graph showing each one’s history, with data points for each date showing price and sales quantity. I asked the people who designed it and they say they it’s currently not possible to get the data in a raw format. So I must get creative and luckily I found DataMiner which looks promising.

Now I just need to find a way to somehow automate this process whereby for each product the correct button is pressed “view product history” and then from the graph the right data is extracted:
For each product → {date}: {price}, {sales quantity}

If this is too hard to achieve, it’s find even if I must click on each one manually long as the data can be extracted automatically with DataMiner or another tool, it’d save me big time.

If anyone can help me figure out how to do this I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

PS the other add-on which I need to use is AMZScoutPro. Just for reference so you can see what I’m referring to. Also a picture is provided below (in the real one also when I scroll over the graph the data is shown). Thanks again :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hi Adel,

Thanks for the post! And great to hear you’re interested in using Data Miner as part of your thesis project. :slight_smile:

I took a look at the screenshot, but unfortunately, Data Miner will not be able to scrape the numbers from this graph. In most cases when data is displayed with hover this means the data is dynamically generated and is not actually stored in the HTML. Data Miner can only scrape what is available in the HTML and we do not have a feature to hover at the moment.

I’m sorry to break the bad news. Please let me know if you have any questions.

1 Like

Hi Zach

Ouch. Well thanks for letting me know I appreciate that. Thanks for your help.

I will look for other ways to do this. I’m sure there must be a way. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Wishing you all the best. Your project looks very interesting either way!